Sunday, May 20, 2007

Im Not Engaged

I found a blog called infinite thinking today, and it says that a student not engaged is a student not learning. That's a load of crap. I dont think I am engaged in class even half the time I am at school, but I still manage to learn stuff. I know my formulas in geometry, and I know greek gods for english class, but I am rarely ever engaged.

The only kids that are engaged in class are the ones who are seriously there to learn, and I have nothing against them, I just have this philosophy: A smart kid does their homework, A smarter kid finds a way to get on honor roll with minimal amounts of effort involved. I just want to get through high school, so I can go to college and be engaged in a class that I wanted to take in the forst place, not one that I wasa forced to take by the state of New Hampshire.

I would also like to take this time to copmment on the No child left behind act, given to us by our wonderful president George Bush. It basically states that every child gets an equal shot at education. Sounds good, but that also means no gifted classes for the smart kids, and no slower classes for the dumb kids. Everyone just gets jumbled into one class. This act forced the Winnisquam Middle School to completely cut off funds for their gifted program.

Where does this leave the kids that actually want to be at school? In a class filled with speds and stoners. On the other end of the spectrum, where does this leave the kids with special needs? In a class with kids smarter than them. They always teach us about self-esteem, now they are simply ruining the self-esteem of the retarded kids.

I think President Bush should read "Howard Bergeron", by Kurt Vonnegut. It is a short story, only sven to to ten pages at most. Actually everyone should read it, so that they can see where our world has headed.

No comments: